In order to maintain financial aid eligibility, you must understand all policies pertaining to federal financial aid. Please review the policies below to have a better understanding of the specific requirements to maintain financial aid eligibility.

What does SAP stand for?

Students who withdraw or receive an “F” for *non-attendance or *non-participation from all of their classes are subject to the Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid Programs Policy. Please review the Return of Title IV Funds Policy, as it contains important information for students who withdraw or *ceases to attend all registered classes within a term and receive financial aid. The Embry-Riddle Return of Title IV Funds Policy and Standards of Academic Progress, in accordance with federal regulations, will determine the amount of financial aid funds to be returned.

Scholarship funds will be reversed in their entirety for any student that drops/withdrawals/audits a course associated with a Worldwide scholarship. Any balance created from the reversal will be the student’s responsibility.

*If a student ceases to attend all registered classes and/or ceases to participate in an academically related activity at any point during their term of enrollment, the faculty will use their discretion to assign an appropriate grade and supporting last date of attendance. For more information, please review Student Services & Academic Affairs policies and procedures.

Please note: Any time you break continuous enrollment (i.e., do not attend all terms in your assigned Track) or cease to be enrolled at least half-time (three credit hours) for undergraduate or full-time (three credit hours) for graduate and borrowed Federal Direct Loans, you will be required to complete Exit Counseling. Also, if you did not borrow your maximum eligibility and withdrew from all courses in a term or ceased to attend all courses in a term in your Track, you will not be eligible to request additional Federal Direct Loan funds for prior terms in the academic year you attended due to a break of continuous enrollment.

Federal regulations require Embry-Riddle to define minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress to determine your eligibility for financial aid. Embry-Riddle must set certain quantitative and qualitative standards to ensure you are progressing toward degree completion. If you do not meet the Standards of Academic Progress, you will not be able to receive financial aid.

  • The qualitative standard is your grade point average (GPA).
  • This requirement is explained in detail in the university catalog under the Academic Regulations and Procedures section.
  • If you are suspended, dismissed, or not permitted to continue your enrollment, you will not be able to receive financial aid.
  • There are two quantitative standards. First, you must successfully complete 67% of the courses you attempt. Grades A, B, C, D and P are considered successfully completed. Second, the overall time it takes to complete your program is considered.
  • You are allowed 150% of the length of your program to complete your degree. The maximum number of credits you could attempt depends on your degree program.
  • These maximum credit hours may vary depending on your specific program. If you change degrees or are a transfer student, the maximum credit hours may be extended by the number of credit hours required to complete your degree.
  • The Standards of Academic Progress is reviewed once each academic year and are updated at the end of the last term in academic year. For Worldwide programs, the academic year ends with the last term of a track (see Financial Aid Tracks for terms associated with tracks). The April and May Terms are optional terms and are not calculated until the following academic year. If you are failing the Standards of Academic Progress and have questions, please contact a financial aid counselor toll free at 866-567-7202.

The Appeal Process for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

An appeal must be based on extenuating circumstances that seriously affected academic performance such as student or parent injury or illness, death of a relative or any other extenuating circumstances. You will be required to submit the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal form and supporting documentation. You will also need to explain what type of extenuating circumstances contributed to the academic problem. You may be required to explain what plans you have to eliminate those problems in the future if applicable.

We realize that sharing personal information can be difficult. Be assured that your statement will remain confidential.

An academic plan approved by an academic advisor may be required.

Instructions for Appeal

In order to appeal the denial of your continued financial aid eligibility resulting from not complying with the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, you must:

  • Complete and sign the Satisfactory Academic Progress(SAP) Appeal form and submit all required supporting documentation. The following must be submitted as part of the appeal:
    • Explanation of extenuating circumstances as to why you did not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards. Your written statement must include a description of the problem/incident indicating dates and time periods involved, as well as the impact on your academic performance.
    • What has changed that will allow you to comply with the Standards of Academic Progress and succeed at Embry-Riddle? Provide specific information about evidence of improved skills and/or changes in life circumstances in areas such as health, family situations, finances, employment, etc.
    • Academic Plan: You may be required by the Financial Aid Office to submit an Academic Plan. If notified to do so, you must submit a plan from your academic advisor. The plan must include coursework to raise GPA, increase course completion ratio, and/or meet degree completion requirements. Note: Coursework listed on the plan must be required for completion of your degree.
  • Appropriate documentation supporting your appeal. Documentation must include, but is not limited to, divorce decrees, death certificates and letters from doctors, counselors, advisors etc. Written statements from a professional should reference your name, diagnosis, dates of treatment and length that situation has or was occurring. Include any statements (on company letterhead) from third-party persons (e.g., clergy, employers, medical professionals, etc.) who can verify your extenuating circumstances. Report of incident/s, such as a police report, insurance damage report and bill/s for services related to emergency, obituary, etc.
  • Submit the completed appeal form with supporting documentation securely uploaded, faxed or mailed. All document(s) must be sent in PDF format and must include your Student ID on all documents.
    • Secure Upload: You will need to complete some basic identifying information before uploading your documents in PDF format. It is imperative that you enter this identifying information correctly, as this is the data we will use to route your documents to the correct student’s electronic record. Incorrect information will lead to processing delays.

    • Fax: 386-226-6915
    • Mail: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Attn: Worldwide Financial Aid Office, 1 Aerospace Blvd., Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Please note that in order to ensure your appeal is reviewed prior to the beginning of a term, you must submit the appeal along with documentation in sufficient time for the appeal to be reviewed. Incomplete applications and requests for additional documentation will cause delays. SAP Appeals can take up to 20 business days to process; please plan accordingly in the event you experience a delay in your Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal. You will be responsible for all charges assessed to your account until an appeal has been approved.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office at if you have any questions and/or need assistance with the appeal process.

Federal regulations limit the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive financial aid for that course.

  • A student may receive aid for repeating a previously passed course as long as it is the first repeat of the course and is required in your program.
  • A student may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed or withdrawn from regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed. (Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy still applies)
  • A student may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course one additional time. If a student fails the second attempt, no more financial aid will be given to repeat the course a third time. If the second attempt is a withdrawal, then it is allowable for a third attempt.
  • When a student has completed any course twice with a grade (A, B, C or D), he or she is no longer eligible to receive aid for that course. If a student retakes a course that is not aid eligible, the credit hours will be excluded from the financial aid enrollment for that term.


1st Attempt 2nd Attempt 3rd Attempt 4th Attempt Eligible for FA?
Course 1 F D Enrolled Yes
Course 2 C Enrolled Yes
Course 3 D C Enrolled No
Course 4 D F Enrolled No
Course 5 W F F Enrolled Yes
Course 6 W F D Enrolled Yes
Course 7 C W Enrolled Yes

Explanation of the Above Examples

Course 1: Yes, these credits are included in the financial aid enrollment because the student is allowed to repeat any failed or withdrawn course until a passing grade is received. Once a passing grade is received, financial aid can pay for the course one more time (one repeat). If a grade of A, B, C, D or F is made on the third attempt, the course will not count again in the calculation for financial aid enrollment.

Course 2: Yes, these credits may be counted, even though it was previously passed, because it is the first time the class is being repeated.

Course 3: No, this course was previously passed twice, and this is the third attempt. Two attempts are the maximum attempts these credits can count toward financial aid enrollment because the course has been previously passed.

Course 4: No, the class credits are no longer considered for financial aid eligibility because it has been previously passed, and this is the second time it is being repeated.

Course 5: Yes, because this course has never been passed so it may still be counted toward financial aid enrollment.

Course 6: Yes, because this course has only been passed once, and the fourth attempt will be considered the second attempt if he passes the class.

Course 7: Yes, because this course has only been passed once, and the second attempt is a withdrawal, so it is allowable for a third attempt.

Federal Regulations limit Financial Aid to only courses that apply to your Program of Study. Your Academic Advisor will be notified to review courses and then notify the Financial Aid office for any student enrolled in courses that are not applicable to a student’s Program of Study who may be eligible for Federal Aid. This will cause a reduction or cancellation of Financial Aid. Please check with your Advisors before enrolling in courses outside of your Program of Study.

Please note: At any time, if you become ineligible for financial aid or are reduced after a disbursement is made for financial aid, you will be financially responsible for all charges.

Have a Question?

Call 866-567-7202
Email Financial Aid with a Question
Chat Now
Available from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. EST

How Much Will It Cost?

Estimate your cost of attendance and amount of financial aid.

Launch the Net Price Calculator