To continue enriching our globally diverse student body, Embry-Riddle Worldwide welcomes students at many global locations. No matter where you choose to study, you can always count on the same level of prestige.

We offer professional adult learners from around the globe the opportunity to earn degrees in aviation, aerospace and related industries by living and studying in the United States. Online degrees are an option for students who wish to remain in their country of residence.

An international student is defined as any non-United States citizen intending to study at campuses located outside the United States, students who live outside of the United States enrolled through Embry-Riddle Online, as well as non-residents and non-immigrants planning to study in the United States. This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

International applicants must submit the application for admission 90 days prior to the term start date. The following items are also required:

Foreign Credential Evaluation

All undergraduate and graduate applicants who have any educational experience outside the United States are required to provide an official course-by-course evaluation to include the cumulative grade point average. The evaluation must be certified by one of the Foreign Credential Evaluation Services (FCE) approved by Embry-Riddle. A fee is charged for the service and must be paid by the applicant directly to the FCE.

If a student has graduate-level work (either transfer or advanced standing) that is indicated on the foreign credential evaluation as meeting the requirements for an undergraduate degree, it will not be reviewed for applicability toward an Embry-Riddle graduate degree.

Educational systems differ country by country. Foreign Credential Evaluation Services are well versed in providing a comparison of a country’s education system to that of the United States system. This comparison includes education levels, credits and grades.

Visit the Worldwide Campus Catalog to review international admissions requirements and a complete list of approved Foreign Credential Evaluation Services.

Applicants for whom English is not the primary language must:

Attain a minimum score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 550 (paper based) or 79 (Internet based) –OR–

Attain a minimum score on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of 6.0 –OR–

Attain a minimum score on the Duolingo English Test of 105 –OR–

Attain a minimum score on the Cambridge English Language Assessment of 170 –OR–

Successfully complete a college-level English Composition course with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited degree-granting institution 

Visit the Worldwide Campus Catalog to review international admissions requirements and a complete list of testing services.

Important Information Concerning F-1 Student Status

For the most current information about educational opportunities in the United States, please contact your local U.S. Embassy, Consulate or Office for referral to an overseas educational advisor or visit the U.S. Department of State's website and The Department of Homeland Security's website. eduPASS, is a SmartStudent Guide to studying in the USA.

F-1 Visa Process

  1. Applicant applies to an F-1 approved Worldwide Campus
  2. Applicant meets Embry-Riddle’s international admissions requirements
  3. International student counselor sends the student a Certificate of Eligibility (Form SEVIS I-20) upon receipt of necessary documentation from applicant
  4. Student submits SEVIS fee
  5. Upon receipt of verification of admission and the I-20, student contacts the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in their country of residence and applies for an F-1 visa
  6. Consular officer reviews application and determines eligibility for issuance of the F-1
  7. Student arrives at the U.S. Port of Entry (POE)
  8. Immigration officer at the POE reviews passport, F-1 visa, and I-20 and if applicable, admits the student in F-1 status and stamping I-94 (arrival/departure record)
Services Provided to F-1 Students
  • Advisement on U.S. immigration policy such as change of status, employment or reinstatement to F-1 status
  • Advisement on personal concerns like adjusting to the U.S. culture and communication skills
Other Services Provided
  • Communicate with prospective international students wanting to attend a U.S. campus
  • Principal contact with U.S. and foreign consulates and embassies
  • Official representative for Embry-Riddle Worldwide to the Department of Homeland Security

F-2 Spouse/ Dependents

Spouses and dependents of F-1 students are eligible to apply for F-2 visas. F-1 students must demonstrate they have sufficient funds for financial support. F-2 spouses are not allowed to work in the United States or to enroll in courses to earn a degree. F-2 dependents can attend primary or secondary schools in the United States.

Health Insurance

F-1 students must have health insurance per state law and university requirements as a condition of enrollment. Contact the international student counselor for information if you do not carry a policy covering you in the United States.

International students intending to study in the United States must possess an F-1 visa. The following Worldwide Campuses are authorized to enroll F-1 students with selection of an approved program: 

Tax Form 1042-S

International Students

  • International students who receive scholarships and grants in excess of the amount of tuition and required fees for enrollment (qualified education expenses) may be required to have federal income taxes withheld at a rate of 14% under U.S. tax law.
  • The university will withhold the required federal income tax, if any, and will provide the international student with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1042-S per tax year.


Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's international students (For example: F visa status) may be subject to federal income guidelines on scholarship funds. Scholarships and grants in excess of qualified education expenses may be subject to tax withholding, per these guidelines, at a rate of 14%. Qualified education expenses include tuition and required fees for enrollment.

The university will withhold federal incomes taxes at 14% if the following applies:

  • Scholarships and grants exceed the cost of tuition and required fees for enrollment charged to your student account.
  • The tax treaty between the U.S. and your country does not provide an exemption from, or a reduced rate of, withholding. See tax treaty countries here.

If taxes were withheld on your behalf, you will receive Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding, per tax year. Students who receive Form 1042-S should bring the following documents to the international tax workshop. The following documents are required for the workshop:

  • Foreign National Information Form
  • Passport
  • U.S. Visa
  • Form I-20
  • All I-94s since becoming an F-1 or J-1 student
  • W-2
  • Tax Form 1042-S

Foreign Student and Scholars information can be found at the IRS Website.

For additional information, please contact the International Student Services Office at 386-226-7146 or

Have a Question?

Call 866-567-7202
Email Financial Aid with a Question
Chat Now
Available from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. EST

International Student & Scholar Services

Visit the International Student & Scholar Services Office's immigration services management system.

For Savannah Boltman, online classes at Embry-Riddle Worldwide are giving wings to her aviation dreams. 

Read about our featured student.

How Much Will It Cost?

Estimate your cost of attendance and amount of financial aid.

Launch the Net Price Calculator